9.04.2008

Yard Sale Mania

It is sad to think that summer is pretty much over with now that the temperatures are starting to be in the 70s. I mean, just last week, we were still having days that would get in the mid 90s. Oh well, what can you do. And what would a summer in Utah be without a good old yard sale? Yes my friends, about 2 weeks ago Emily and I experienced our first yard sale as a married couple, and what an experience it was. It was actually a combined yard sale with my sister, Kiffin, and my mom. And I bet none of you knew that my mom is the “Queen” of yard sales, or so she says she is. She probably called herself the “Queen of Yard Sales” about 25 times, and that is no exaggeration. She had everything planned out to the “T”. If any of us gave our opinion about how to improve the yard sale, she quickly told us a story about past garage sales, and how her yard sales are the best in Utah. Let me give you a day-by-day plan the week before the sale.
Saturday, my mom had to put the yard sale in the paper because that is what draws all the people to the house. (Here is when one of my opinions was shot down.) I asked my mom, “Who looks at the newspaper anymore? It would better if we just put it on the internet.” Her response was, “TJ, I know how to run a yard sale. And we need to put it in the newspaper.” I said, “ok mom.”

Tuesday, Bryan brings over a trailer full of junk to my moms house to sale.

Wednesday, I put an ad on the internet about the yard sale.

Thursday, Em and I bring a trailer full of our stuff over to the house, and my dad and I went to the church and picked up 10 tables.

Friday, Kiffin brings over another trailer full of stuff, and all of us stay up until midnight pricing our items. I think Kiffin was done around 1:00 am pricing her items because she had way more stuff than any of us. All of us where getting a little annoyed with everyone because it was taking so long pricing our items, and we had to do it my mom’s ways.

Saturday morning at 5:00, Em and I woke up and headed over to my mom’s house to finally have this yard sale, and what a day it was. We had stated in our ads that we were going to start the sale at 8:00. Well, my mom decides to put yellow caution tape in front of our yard to stop people from looking at our stuff before 8:00. The caution tape didn’t really work. People just went over it or under it, and it was so funny to see my moms reaction. As soon as they crossed the tape, Trina was telling them that we don’t open until 8:00, and we are not letting anyone look at anything until 8. At times, it was a little awkward to say the least. We convinced my mom to start the yard sale at 7:45 because there were about 10 people crossing over the caution tape ready to purchase our used crap. Our stuff went like hotcakes. By the end of the day, we were very pleased with how much we made. The yard sale ended at 2, and all of us were ready to close up shop except Trina. I told here that she can stay out here and sell her stuff, but I am done selling our stuff. The day ended with a lunch at CafĂ© Rio and a quick stop at our local DI with a trailer full of junk.

Kiffin and Em being the yard sale cashiers.

Kiffin and Em accepting money for our junk.

Trina organizing the tables to make it look perfect.

Me and Aspen hanging out. Don't mind my skinny legs, and a sneek peek at my garmets.

Bryan wondering, "Who is showing up now?"

5 comments:

Brad said...

we had one yard sale one time (when i was in high school). We didn't advertise it (at least i don't remember we did, besides a couple signs) And we STILL had people rummaging through the junk at 6 am. It was actually kinda creapy...

Isn't there yardsale etiquette? You should ask Trina to write the book. I am sure it could be a best seller

Elly said...

Don't ya just love a good yard sale. Your mom makes me laugh.

Mark and Kandice said...

We just had our first Garage sale 2 weekends ago you will have to check out our post. I will have to take notes from your succesful sale, ours wasn't as professional.

Mark and Kandice said...

P.S. Emily we need to plan that lunch day with Christy too is the 13th of Sep. Saturday ok with you? Our blog is www.kandiceandmark.blogspot.com just leave a comment. :) Your mom is so cute by the way I always see her at Costco.

katierasmussen said...

I was laughing out loud on that one!! First of all I can totally picture your mom telling people not to cross the tape...hilarious. My mom recently moved from AF to Highland and I told her I would be in charge of a garage sale for her. It was so much work I vowed never to do it again!!!! We did come out with over $1,500 bucks, but I was too exahusted to care!:)