5.13.2008

Top of Utah '08


Last year, Emily and I saw my sister, Kiffin, and her husband, Bryan, run across the finish line at the St. George Marathon. (Well, we didn’t actually see them cross the finish line, and I won’t go into details because it is a long story involving Trina, my mom.) The year before that, my other sister, Kaycee, and her husband, Taylor, ran the Top of Utah, a marathon in Logan, UT. Being the competitor that I am, I decide, along with Emily, that we could not just stand by and let my sisters and their husband show us up, so we decided to join the Warner’s running club. Emily and I are registered to run the Top of Utah Marathon in Logan, UT on September 20th. We both have been training for the past few weeks, and I am having some serious issues. Throughout my entire life, I have been able to get up and run at anytime any distance and have no injuries. Sure, I would have the occasional soreness in my legs but nothing big, but these past few weeks has been brutal! Here is a list of my injuries in the past month and a half. First, my back killed for a week. I could barely stand it hurt so bad. Second, I swear I had a stress fracture on my left foot because it hurt to but any pressure on it, and again, I could barely stand. Third, my calves, actually just my left calf, has tighten into this ball of steel. I tried to massage it, but I stop because I wanted to cry. Forth, my left shin kills! But it only hurts when I run. Halfway through my 3.5 mile run this morning I wanted to hitch a ride home because it hurt so bad. I know that you are all thinking to yourself, “Toughen up TJ,” or in the words of Tuff Hedemen, “Cowboy up!” But seriously, this has never happened to me before. I have never felt like this. I am blaming it on my shoes, but Emily thinks that it is my age. Anyway, I thought it would be kind of fun to track our progress of our running on our blog, and I am going to ask everyone’s advice on how I can prevent these painful injuries.

15 comments:

The Stones said...

My advice TJ is: "run more". But sounds cool. I have never been motivated to do that good luck!!

Elly said...

Good luck with the running thing. You should do great it is just getting back in to the swing of things. And last but not least "Cowboy Up"!!!

Leishman family said...

I think you just need to buck up!!!! Oh I remember hurting every day. Just wait until the marathon. Love Bean

Leishman family said...

Just kidding it will get easier. Good luck guys.

Lindsay said...

I have a fool proof method to help with any pain you're having: sit back and read a book. Works great for me.

Marc said...

Yes, sounds pretty simple to me: stop running.

Panzee.

The DeWitt House said...

I keep telling you to Stretch!! And I never had these problems and I am older!! Not the age, I would get new shoes! And just remember Kaycee is right.....just wait until the day after the marathon when you can't even move!! It hurts just to get on and off the toilet!! Have fun running!:)

Ryan said...

Haha...I totally agree with Marc. When you get to be a man of your age TJ, there are just certain things you can't do anymore.

Brad said...

I know whats wrong with you TJ... You have a case of Wussitis. Hee hee! j/k By the way, what is running? Since I work from home now, I hardly ever see the sun, let alone run. My workouts consist of mouse clicks. My pointer finger is ripped!

Good Luck!

Nicole said...

Hey I just wanted to let you know that I read pickle juice helps with leg cramps.

TJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TJ said...

Thanks for all your comments especially the "first-timers"-Brad,Elly, and Nicole. I think I will take the advice of my sisters-Stretch and Buck up! But I might eat a couple pickles on along the way. In 4 months I will post a picture of Em and I crossing the finish line.

juddfitzgerald said...

Thats sweet, me and Haley are running the Milwaukee Lake Front Marathon on October 10th. I feel your pain, I say blame it on the shoes, thats my plan to get some new ones.

juddfitzgerald said...

Thats sweet, me and Haley are running the Milwaukee Lake Front Marathon on October 10th. I feel your pain, I say blame it on the shoes, thats my plan to get some new ones.

Ashley said...

At this rate, I'm guessing your next problem will be your lower pinky knuckle is throbbing or your left ear lobe is swelling up. You were asking for it when you described your problems in detail. I'm not sure I've heard of anyone thats trained and said it was easy. Good luck though - Nate